'Awarta, 'Einabus, Huwwara, Jama'in, Kifl Harith, Qira, Shomron Crossing, Za'tara (Tapuah)

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Ana S., Aliyah S. reporting

9:20,  We entered the territories through the Shomron crossing.  At the junction to Kifl Harith there was a military vehicle, but we didn't see any activity near it.

Za'tra (Tapuach Junction) The parkink lot is empty of any vehicles; in the tower there was one soldier; there were four soldiers at the bus stop on the road to Ramallah.

In the town Huwarra it was business as usual. We saw nothing out of the ordinary.

At Huwwara CP a military jeep entered the parking lot; there were soldiers in the tower, but the road into and out of Nablus was open and the traffic was moving freely.

We drove into Awarta and stopped at a small shop to talk with someone Nadim was friendly with. We asked him about the current situation with the settlers. They throw stones sometimes at the checkpoints into Nablus. The previous evening the army had gone into two houses in Burin. He had only heard about it, but didn't know any details. In the Salfit area a settler ran over a Palestinian. Our friend did not know how badly he was hurt. The settlers from Itamar don't come into Awarta, but if a Palestinian from Awarta goes to work his own land that is close to Itamar, he is attacked and chased away. The whole list of events was related to us in a very matter of fact way. This is what is; nothing out of the ordinary.

Back in the town, Huwarra, as we ate falafel a friend told us the events of the previous day, Wednesday, November 19. At 17:00, in the late afternoon, the army entered the town with a number of vehicles and declared a curfew, immediately. All the stores had to close and the people had to be in their houses. The reason given was that a stone had been thrown at a settler's car and a Molotov cocktail had been thrown at a settlers' bus. It was not clear when this had happened; it was assumed that the incident happened the previous evening. The curfew was in effect all night.

We went through Einabous, Jamain and Qira. Everything seemed very quiet. At the junction of Ariel and Haris we saw a large military vehicle, perhaps the same one that had been there when we entered, and a police car. We slowed down to see what was happening. The military vehicle was obviously stuck and was being connected to the police car to be towed. That happens also.

We left by way of the Shomron crossing.