Beit Furik, Huwwara, Za'tara (Tapuah), Mon 9.6.08, Afternoon

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Eliran (guest), Rahel D, Nur B (reporting)

Translation: Ruth F.


Sha'vuot, just as any other Jewish holiday, is a reason for a closureinfo-icon on Palestine.
The military center: There is no entrance to Israel even not for those with permits (employment permits for instance). They may only enter if they have a special permit or a humanitarian one. At the center they wouldn't answer other questions. They referred me to the civil administration.

13:00- We headed off to Palestine.

13:30- Za'tara (Tapouah) -
Empty for those coming from the west. We counted 12 vehicles heading to Ramala. The passage was quick.

13:50- Beit Furik

The inspection of pedestrians and cars wasn't preformed at the same time at the entrance and exit for Nablus, that was why there was always a line at one of the sides. After several minutes from the time we arrived
(13:53) a young Palestinian woman was detained and taken to the issoletion cell. Her ID didn't match. "I don't give a shit who's ID it is. It might as well be my cousin's" said the checkpoint commander. We heard the checkpoint commander talking to an officer that out ranked him over the walky-talky. The officer said that if the ID was a fake then they must arrest her, but if it wasn't her ID then she must be sent back to Nablus. The checkpoint commander kept arguing with him and reminded him that "the last time this happen we did make an arrest". After a short discussion they decided to detainee her, the police were on their way.

The conversation between the soldier and her was in English. They asked her whether she was abroad during the last couple of months, they asked about her brothers and sisters. They offered her water but she refused. After half an hour her father arrived. I appeared that she was 17, it wasn't clear why she didn't have an ID with her. The ID she did have belong to her brother's wife. The father asked for forgiveness. When entered the fathers details on the computer they found her details in an instance. The soldiers told the father that he could leave, but the girl couldn't. She had to wait until the police arrived. "In the mean while she will be here, don't worry. You are dismissed" the soldiers said to him. "Binti", he replied. After twenty minutes she was released without the police arriving. "It's the last time you lie to me" said the checkpoint commander in English, before she headed on her way.

14:50- Huwwara
Three inspection posts for men. The belts were unbuckled, the bags opened, the IDs presented to the soldiers at the posts. There was another line for women, children and elders. Some were sent with their bags to the x-ray machine which is on the other side of the checkpoint.

Vehicles: IDs and permits were inspected at the entrance to Nablus. The passage was quick, there were no jams. At the exit from the city there was a constant traffic, the inspection was preformed in the usual way (the driver came to the checkpoint alone, the passengers made their way by foot. The car was examined, the passengers sent to the x-ray machine with their bag, and after that their IDs were checked, they were permitted to head on). These inspections took about 4 minutes for a car (not included the waiting time which we couldn't estimate).

At 15:40 a soldier entered the line to make sure those in line stood in a straight line. We heard yelling.
 At the same time a minor with a birth certificate who wasn't escorted by his parents was sent back to Nablus. After 10 minutes he was allowed to pass. A young man of 25 was detained at the cell for about five minutes. The solider pulled him out with an aggressive movement and sent him back to Nablus. The brother, who was standing next to me muttered "Kusemec".

17:30- Za'aara (Tapouah)- We counted 13 cars heading to Ramala, four vehicles were coming from the west.