Awarta, Beit Furik, Huwwara, Za'tara (Tapuah), יום א' 13.7.08, בוקר

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Yael B., and Ditza Y. (reporting)

Translation:  Suzanne O.


6:45 a.m. 

There is one car from the west and a small number of vehicles from the north, however, as we continue on in the direction of Huwwara, more vehicles turn up and the number rises to 27.

Beit Furiq

7:10 a.m. 

One car is in the queue.  There are some 10 pedestrians at the turnstile who are inspected speedily.  There are no additional people at the other side of the roadblock.


There is one lorry at the entrance and 10 in the queue at the exit from the town.  There are no lorries at the back to back.  Ziad complains about the low number of lorries at the back to back, lately they prefer to go to Sha'ar Efraim which causes him, and those like him who haul goods, to lose business.


7:40 a.m. 

There are about 20 people at the turnstiles.  It is quiet, even the military policewomen do not raise their voices.  The full equipment is present: x-ray machine; dog handler and the whole procedure of removing belts and putting them on again.  The commander, D., comes over to us, wanting to talk.  He tells us that early this morning it was very busy.

8:20 a.m.

We got reports about problems at Azon Atma and started to drive there.  However, just then we received information about an attack on Palestinian shepherds at the west of Huwwara roadblock, we therefore turned back and took the road to Bracha.  A number of Palestinians were gathered there, a few internationals, the border police and the civilian police.  It turns out that they came because of another problem: a Palestinian came over to us and told us that he and his children were picking almonds in their grove when settlers arrived and threw stones at his children and his donkey. 
A border policeman, who did not like our presence there, demanded to see Yael's ID card.  She refused and informed him that only a civilian policeman is permitted to make such a demand.  He claimed that the policeman was busy and asked him to demand her documents.  Obviously Yael did not show them.  A major was present and we wanted to hear what he had to say about the incident, but he was busy talking on the phone and then talking to a settler - we were unable to hear what they said.  Meanwhile the Palestinians continued on their way to the grove, accompanied by internationals.  We spoke to a soldier who promised that the army would now guard the pickers.  We did not hear about the incident with the shepherds, they had already left by the time we got there.

9:00 a.m.  

We tried to go to Azon Atma, which we had tried to do early this morning, but we were still unable to find it.  Meanwhile there were no more calls for help from there.

Sha'ar Shomron

10:10 a.m. 

A group of about 20 Palestinians is led by soldiers from the Israeli side of the road to the other side.