'Awarta, Beit Furik, Huwwara, Za'tara (Tapuah), Thu 18.6.09, Morning

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Nava A., and Rachel A-T (reporting)

Translation:  Suzanne O.

Not many people queue at the roadblock.  In Huwwara we saw the order from the General forbidding our presence at the roadblock.

7:10 a.m.

There is no police presence at Sha'ar Shomron.

The entrance to Marda is open but Zeita is closed as usual.



7:30 a.m. 

As last week, there are no soldiers at all to inspect those coming from the west.

From the direction of Nablus two lanes are open.  10 cars are in the queue.  The inspection is quick.

7:35 a.m.

Opposite the entrance to Beita there is a military command car which is detaining a minibus.



7:42 a.m. 

There are 4 lorries in the queue.


Beit Furiq

7:50 a.m. 

All of the concrete blocks have been dismantled.  Those entering and leaving are subject to random checks; there is no queue.



8:00 a.m. 

There are two checkpoints open in the vehicle lane.  Inspections are random and there are about 15 cars in the queue.

The crossing for pedestrians is almost empty.

On the wall there is an order from the General in Hebrew and Arabic signed by hand on the 24.5.09.  (A copy is attached.)

The area is declared a Closed Military Zone.  It says that the area marked in red is not accessible to civilians.

Beside the order there is a blurred aerial picture in grey only, with no red markings on it.

According to the sergeant, the order was pasted up yesterday.  He asks us to move to the path.

On arrival at the roadblock we buy coffee and bagels.  After a short while, when we had left in the direction of the car, the stall holders disappeared and we were told that they had been sent away by soldiers who had come in a jeep.  3 minutes later we saw them come back and move into their usual places.  The regular cat and mouse existence.

Ahmed's brother (the boy who sells sweets and water), who was arrested last week because of throwing stones, was released after 4 days.