'Awarta, Beit Furik, Burin (Yitzhar), Huwwara, Za'tara (Tapuah), Thu 22.4.10, Morning

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Estie W., Nava E.

Natanya translating.


Today the "Nahal" (krick - a unit in the IDF) did not stream. Delays and careful searches at Beit Furik and Huwwara.

6.50 Sha'ar Shomron from the east is wide open and no one is checking.

The entrance to Marda is open and there is nothing new at the barricade of Zeita and Jamaien,

7.15 Za'tara/Tapuach  There are no queues at the checkpoint.

Burin/Yitzhar is empty.

7.35 Beit Furik.
The Nahal soldiers had put out spikes over most of the road and so only one car could pass at a time. Because we drove up to them with the car there was a traffic jam and they did not allow us to pass the checkpoint so as to turn around.

7.40 Awarta. No cars waiting and no dog trainer.

7.45 Huwwara.
In the empty and deserted parking lot are a line of cars with the engine opened and they are surrounded by barbed wire. The soldiers say they have been there for a few days. It seems to be the  police who have taken these cars off the road as they are not roadworthy.  Most of them look as if they should be in a junkyard but some seem relatively new. We did not see police. We were told that a while ago the lawyer of one of the owners of a car had come past and asked to whom he could speak. 

The traffic in the direction of Nablus is lively and streams through.
The dog trainer checks one car carefully, the soldiers another and all the rest wait.
Soon a line forms which stretches as far as the eye can see. Those who have initiative or are privileged bypass those waiting and get stuck at the side. After some minutes a third route is formed.
As a result of this cars entering Nablus  are forced to slow down and leave the road.
Immediately a line forms in the opposite direction. A truck who driver tried to get through here and not at Awarta is forced to turn around and this causes even more delays,  Afterwards the truck is stuck at the side. The line of cars already reaches the circle.  For five minutes everything is at a standstill.  We phone the DCO and they say they will find out what is happening.

After not too long a time the DCO representative arrives and the traffic begins to crawl. Some cars are freed and again there is a delay. The commander of the checkpoint comes and tells us that there were very strong alerts in the whole zone and they hope that everything will end soon. He said that they also had called the DCO.

8.30 It seems that the security alert has ended but the traffic situation has become more complicated. From afar we see that the three lines have got stuck and that the soldiers are trying to direct the traffic which is standing or to make a preliminary search.
The dogtrainer comes nearer and speaks to us. She asks if our sons do not oppose our activities or are scared .

8.40 The line in the direction of Nablus has melted away but those exiting are coming out in drips and drabs.

8.50 We leave the place and the line of cars waiting to leave Nablus.

Burin/Yitzhar …no military activity.

9.05 Za'tara/Tapuach. The traffic is flowing. In the parking lot a car is carefully checked.

Over the news we hear of no activity in the area of Nablus.