Beit Ummar, Bethlehem, Etzion DCL, Nabi Yunis, Mon 10.1.11, Morning

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Observers: Chaya O., Chana S., (reporting)
Seriously? Does this make us safer?

7.00 am,  Bethlehem – Checkpoint 300:  we had differing reports from the crowds coming out.  But even one man who said ‘conditions were good today’ said he had arrived at 5.30 am!

According to the ‘ecumenical’ volunteer, the humanitarian gate was being opened at very rare intervals.

7.30 am,  Husan  at the taxi-rank:  one prearranged meeting for signing of power of attorney to search police records..  A second man also wanted help but as it turned out that he already had a lawyer it seemed better that he should continue with his services.

8.00 Etzion DCL:  about 30 men were waiting for the station to open, which it did a few minutes later.  A soldier handed each man a number as they entered.

A  prearranged meeting with a man who has to lodge an appeal (his police record is now clear but his entry into Israel is still banned)  and to pay for the lawyer.


8.30 Beit Ummar - 10.00 Nabi Yunis

3 cases of power of attorney for searching police records.  Two people were referred to Kiryat-Arba police station.  In one case it was clear that the police there just hadn’t bothered to give the man any written receipt. 

We gave Sylvia’s details to two men refused permits by Security Service.

One man who had been incorrectly charged with driving with an ‘invalid’ license neededa letter of appeal.  Chaya drafted one in Hebrew which he signed.

A man who (after patiently interpreting for all his fellow-sufferers) said he was still waiting for a letter from his employer so that he could get his permit.  He is in contact with Sylvia but Chaya also phoned the employer.

There were a number of men who needed to go to the police at the Etzion DCL to get information as to why their permits were refused, and for how long.  In each case Chaya stressed the importance of their getting the information in writing before leaving the DCL and made contact with them while they were there. 

A number of calls came from various villages from people with permit problems.  As Chaya had ascertained that there was a police officer on duty at Etzion, she could recommend that they go there but in each case made sure that they kept contact with her until they had received a printed document.