Etzion DCL, Mon 20.6.11, Afternoon

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Shlomit S., Ora A. (reporting). Charles K. (translating)
Seriously? Does this make us safer?


14:20  Etzion DCL, 14:20 pm:  approximately 40 people in the waiting room. There are also about 40 in the inner waiting area. The large number of people waiting isn’t surprising, because last week the soldiers went on a trip and the DCL was closed. That was the reason that all those who were disappointed last week arrived today, as well as new ones.  The DCL staff who of course knew about the situation, that many people would come today, didn’t make any special preparations for handling the larger number. They worked slowly, and didn’t admit anyone after 12:50. They didn’t care about the condition of those who were waiting, among them a number of elderly persons who felt ill, and despite the heat weren’t able to drink water because the only available water faucet was out of order.

We contacted the humanitarian office.

At 14:45 pm  a man came out who told us he’d arrived at 04:30 in order to be first on line.  When numbers were handed out, he received number 1. He entered at 10:00 and came out at 14:45.

 At 14:50  a man exited who’d waited since 07:00, and an old man was admitted who had trouble walking and was supported on both sides. He and his escorts came out at 15:25.

  A man who appeared frightened and miserable approached us to ask for help. He said his daughter undergoes dialysis three times a week at Augusta Victoria hospital in Jerusalem, and he has a permit to accompany her. But at the checkpoint this morning they took his permit. We began calling, and after a few calls and inquiries we were told he has to go to court, obtain an affidavit that the permit was taken from him, and then he’ll be able to get a new one.

A young man who came out complained that when he entered he was immediately ejected, without being taken care of and with no explanation. The soldier inside didn’t speak to him, but simply ordered him to leave immediately. His companion, who’d entered with him, was allowed to remain. Again we called the humanitarian office. The man was admitted and taken care of. Apparently his expulsion was simply harassment.

A young man came out, carrying a referral to an appointment at Hadassah hospital in Ein Kerem, and requested a permit to enter Jerusalem. He was refused. They told him the Shin Bet denies him entry.

A man came out looking satisfied. He said that his son is hospitalized in Jordan, and he’d requested a permit to visit him. They promised he’d receive an exit permit tomorrow at the Palestinian DCL.

Until 16:50 pm, people continued coming out slowly.  It was clear that at 17:00, when the DCL closes, many people will remain in the waiting room without having been taken care of.  Danny, the officer, came into the waiting room and announced in Arabic that he’ll provide everyone who wasn’t received today with authorization to be received tomorrow morning.  The Palestinians formed a long line, approached him one after the other and received the authorizations.  After they had been distributed, I asked Danny whether special arrangements are being made tomorrow to handle all these people as well as the many others who weren’t taken care of last week because the soldiers were on a trip.  He said that he’d be there tomorrow and will oversee things, adding that the soldiers have a right to take trips.

When I asked why they didn’t provide replacements for those who went on the trip, I didn’t get an answer.  But I did hear criticism of our behavior, Shlomit’s in particular, and he absolutely refused to speak to her.