Ofer - Remand Extension, Minors

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Nitza Aminov (reporting)

Translation: Marganit W.


Say Goodbye and leave – this is a court of law, not a family gathering


When I arrived a 9:30, the yard was already full. I ran into the parents of

Rawan Abu Matar Ziada, a 22-year old woman from Beit Ilu.

She has been in detention since 16.7.15.

No relatives are allowed to visit her from 13.1.16 until 13.3.16, for no known reason. This is why it was important for the parents to attend the hearing. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend her hearing. There was confusion in the court. Remand extension hearings, usually taking place at Courtroom 7, were also conducted in Courtroom 1.


I heard from the Prison Authority officer that two new female detaineesinfo-icon had been brought in, so I scurried to find out where the hearings were taking place.

As a Jewish Israeli I have privileges, and so many Palestinians asked me to look for attorneys in different courtrooms and report about the waiting families, something I always do.


In the yard I spoke to the father of an underage girls detained in Sharon Prison (with ten other girls). Worried and desperate, he told me that Atty. Theodory had informed him that he no longer represents her. I went looking for Atty. Nasser Nubani, and he confirmed that indeed Atty. Theodory is no longer with the “Nadi Al Assir” (Prisoner’s club). He promised to see what he could do to help.


The hearings in the juvenile court began after the break. The judge gathered the attorneys of the Prisoner’s club to find a new defense for the girl. In the end, Nubani undertook to represent her, but he has to study the case, so the hearing was postponed by ten days.


In the yard I also spoke to the husband of Hilwa Hamamra from the village Hussan. She is a 25 -year old woman with a 2-year old babyinfo-icon.

On 8.11.15 she was shot in the arm and leg at Beitar Illit, and was taken to Hadassah hospital in serious condition. She underwent several operations, and on 23.12.16 she was transferred to Sharon Prison.

The husband told me that this is the first time he has a chance to see her since her arrest. He misses her very much.

Her hearing was in late afternoon and they had a few minutes to chat a little, get updates and send regards. When I asked that they be given a few more minutes (the husband and brother were sitting at the back of the hall, far from the dock) I was told “this is a court of law, not family gathering.”


Toward the end of the day the two new detainees were brought in for remand extension.

Inas Jabariwas arrested on 18.2.16 and has been in Sharon Prison since then.

Atty. Abir Mrar represents her.

The prosecution claims a knife was found in her bag.

Her detention was extended until 23.2.16.


Sanaa Abu Sninahas been detained since 17.2.16.

She, too, is in Sharon Prison.

She is accused of posting on Facebook. Atty. Sha’aban, who represents her, said she works in a sewing shop and at home.

She turned herself in and reported to the Etzion Detention Center. She also voluntarily surrendered her cell phone. Search of her Facebook account did not yield anything. The judge was shown a secret file. He said there are suspicious phrases in her phone account “I want to do forbidden things.”

The prosecutor explained that she was interrogated only today for two hours (remember, she has been detained since 17.2.16) and he requests a remand extension of 72 hours.


There was also mention of administrative detention. Atty. Hamza Abu Ramzi, the new DCI legal counsel, told me of an injured underage girl at Sha’arei Tzedek Hospital who had been shot in the hand, foot and stomach. Last Tuesday a judge was sent to the hospital to extend her detention. Since then she has been transferred to Sharon Prison, surely not the best equipped place to treat injuries.


In the yard I met the father of Yasmin Abu Srur, an old acquaintance. When I asked what he was doing there, he told me Yasmin had been released, but he has two more sons in prison, as is the case in many families.


When I left that horrid place at 18:30 I saw two Palestinians by the entrance to the canteen. They told me they were still waiting to hear if their son’s hearing was going to take place. I advised them to hurry to the courtroom to find out. They were so gripped by fear that they needed my “imprimatur” to go and inquire.

One of them told me, Thanks for being here, even if you can’t do much. We saw you arrive this morning and we appreciate what you do.


As I got into my car all I could think was how early they must have left home and how late they would return.