Awarta, Beit Furik, Burin (Yitzhar), Huwwara, Za'tara (Tapuah), Thu 24.1.08, Morning

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Rachel A., and Moran A.

Translation:  Suzanne O.

Sha'ar Shomron

6:38 a.m. 

There is no roadblock.

6:54 a.m.

The crossing into Marda is open and, as usual, concrete blocks block the entrance to Zeita.


6:58 a.m. 

The roadblock is clear, not even one car in the queue in any direction, outside the temperature is about 2 degrees.


7:05 a.m

The crossing is open.


7:06 a.m. 

The car park is almost completely empty, it seems that everyone is leaving late because of the freezing cold.  Comparatively few pedestrians go in the direction of Nablus.  In contrast there are some 50 people standing in the queue to leave the town. 

There are almost no cars queuing to get into the town.  Mickey calls to say that at Beit Furiq a detainee has been held for two hours, he was arrested at Huwwara and his documents taken away.  We find out if Rudi (the DCO representative) is at the roadblock and after about ten minutes it turns out that the detainee has been released, comes to Huwwara and takes back his documents.

Beit Furiq

8:00 a.m. 

There are about 20 cars queuing to leave Beit Furiq in the direction of Nablus.  The drivers say that they have to wait between half an hour to two hours.  There are very few pedestrians; it is still very cold in the area.  The soldiers stand talking among themselves.  An officer and a soldier inspect cars, the officer appears to be teaching the soldier how to check - he points his weapon in the direction of a driver who has got out of his vehicle for inspection, they make the driver stand with his back to them, leaning on his vehicle, and the soldier gives him a manual body check.  This is what happens to the following drivers.  Photos are attached.  Meanwhile a small queue of pedestrians builds up behind the turnstiles, however, the people cross within minutes.

We go to talk to the drivers again.  A lorry driver tells us that about six months ago he was involved in an argument with the soldiers and since then he has not been allowed to enter or leave Nablus.


8:45 a.m. 

Lorries cross in both directions, there are no queues; the back-to-back car park is almost empty except for two vehicles moving goods between them.


8:56 a.m. 

There are almost no cars in the queue.


9:21 a.m. 

There are almost no cars in the queue.

Marda and Zeita

They are as they were on our way here.