Barta'a checkpoint: The crossing at the checkpoint is long and inconsiderate

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Neta Golan (Reporting), Adina (photos)Translation: Bracha Ben-Avraham
מחסום בצורת זרוע ברזל גדולה

14:30 – We wanted to see if the checkpoint on the bridge leading towards the village of Zibda which to our surprise was open last week (See report from 27.04.2021) was still open.   It was not.  The gate was not locked, but the concrete barriers were placed in a way that prevented cars from passing (See photo).  A man noticed our surprise, and told us that the soldiers had closed the checkpoint.   We asked why they had not reopened it as they had done last week, but he said that the soldiers had opened it and if they would have opened it themselves the soldiers would have shot at them. (?)

14:50 – Reihan- Barta’a Checkpoint, Palestinian Side

The parking lot was not full.  People were returning home from work tired,  hungry, and thirsty due to the Ramadan fast.   It was very hot.  A man complained that he and his friends work in Tel Aviv and had arrived at the checkpoint in an Israeli car with their employer, but they were not permitted to cross the checkpoint with him through the vehicle checkpoint.  They had to go back and walk all the way down the fenced – in sleeveinfo-icon.  Aren’t they human?   He added that at this rate there will never be peace in the world.  Don’t they understand that it is difficult for them during Ramadan?   We had no answer.  We gave another man who was banned from entering Israel without any apparent reason a card with Sylvia’s phone number, wished him luck and Ramadan Kareem.

15:20 – Tura – Shaked Checkpoint  The checkpoint was empty, quiet, and dirty.  Only one young man crossed to the seamline zone.

15:35 – A’anin Checkpoint

The gatesinfo-icon were open and the soldiers were in their positions. There were no Palestinian farmers.  We called our friend M. but he did not answer.  We asked the soldiers if a tractor driver and his son had crossed and they said that they had.  At 20:00 that evening M. called me back and apologized for not answering.  He reported that the soldiers had already let him  cross at 14:30.  He had gone to sleep and hadn’t heard the phone, and had woken up just before iftar  - the evening meal for breaking the fast.  Ramadan Kareem.