A-Tuwani, South Hebron Hills, Susiya

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Samdar Becker (reporting) with Muhammad; Translator: Natanya  
סוסיא - ליד ביתם של עזאם וואדחה

We left at 8.00 in the morning to meet with our friend Nasser Nawaj’a from Susiya. Nasser was kidnapped by the army and transferred to the GSS for investigation and it was important for us to visit him. He was taken around 23.00, handcuffed and blindfolded. At first, he was taken to a military base and later to Gush Etzion, where he was interrogated by a GSS captain.

In general, the allegations against him were that he is everywhere; he is contacted as soon as something happens throughout the West Bank and he also documents (the doubtfully moral actions of the army, the police and the settlers. Very inconvenient). Nasser explained to the investigator that this was his job as an employee of B’tselem and he is well known. He was asked not to harass the soldiers. (Is he harassing the soldiers? Well, really). When the interrogation was over (which was carried out without the handcuffs and not blindfolded), he was released. The investigator asked: "How will you get back home?" Nasser replied that he would ask to be picked up and so it was.

It started with an abduction, and ended with an investigation that was a kind of indirect warning.

After us, other activists came to Nasser to show him their support and appreciation.

We went to Azzam Wadha's house in Susiya.  We had not seen for a long time because Azzam worked  in Israel. This time he was at home. He is not working now.

He tells about settlers taking over their lands. Last night, for example, 2 tractors were working on the land of another family from Susiya. He shows us additional areas that have already been cultivated and even planted. No one stops them despite reports. Flocks of sheep regularly enter their territories.

Azzam tells this and despair is evident on his face.

From there we went to Nasser Adra to hear about the settlers' invasion of At-Tuwani on Tish’a Beab (the 9th of Ab). The settlers claim that there is a synagogue there. According to Nasser, there is no sign of any such thing. 

The day started around 3.00 am with the entry of the army, which put up checkpoints at several entrances to At-Tuwani: near Abigail, near the mosque in the village and at the main entrance. Jewish and Palestinian activists sleep there at night. But in practice, no one sleeps.

Young people from At-Tuwani scattered tires and stones, in order to make it difficult for the settlers to arrive. But the army cleared everything with a bulldozer, before they arrived.

A little after five o'clock in the morning, three buses and private cars entered At-Tuwani.

About 20 army jeeps and a vehicle from the military police kept the area between the Nasser gas station and the mosque closed. Only the settlers were allowed to enter and move about.

Everything was recorded by some activists who slept on the roof of Nasser's and his neighbour's house. A number of settler children entered the area of ​​Nasser's house; the army took them away. It should be noted that two days earlier, the army arrived with settlers to plan this day. The residents of At-Tuwani, including the children, shouted Allahu Akbar, and did not keep silent. After an hour and a half of prayer, the settlers left the place.

From the three visits, the impression is the same: there is an occupation, settlers and the army work in partnership, life there is unbearable. We hardly took any pictures this time, because we listened more and there wasn't really anything new to photograph.