Awarta, Beit Furik, Huwwara, Mon 11.2.08, Morning

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Moria F. and Miki F (Reporting)

Translation: Ruth F.


 The usual depressing routine of occupation- no special events,
There was segregation for men from Tulkarem and Jenin between the ages 16-35- they weren't allowed to pass to the south in the direction of Ramala.
The pointless waiting time in the lines was long, especially for vehicles at Beit Furik and Huwwara. Soldiers made sure that the pedestrians did everything by the book at Beit Furik- there was nothing new about that either.
8:10   - There was a segregation on people from Tulkarem and Jenin on people between that ages of 16-35.
Vehicles passed quickly- incredible- the average time for a vehicle inspection was of 20-30 seconds.
It took 10 minutes to inspect the passengers of a bus and afterwards it headed off.
8:40- There was a curfew on Huwwara village. We heard a stun grenade explode. Stores were closed.
We later tried finding out what it was all about. The drivers told us that the army clamed that rocks were thrown on cars and that two people were hurt. While we were heading back at 11:15 the curfew had already been lifted.
9:10 - Beit Furik
The line of cars: There was a long line of about 16 cars from Beit Furik.
The cars that were heading in, past quickly in comparison to the last couple of weeks- two minutes per car.
In contrast the cars that were entering Nablus had an inspection of 7 to 8 minutes.
The 16th car and the one that followed it had to wait for about 25 minutes until 4 cars that were exiting Nablus would pass.
Pedestrians: A large number of people were passing through the turnstiles, it didn't stop turning after the first person and they headed for the inspection posts.
The soldier immediately came to them and allowed only the first person to pass, he demanded that the rest jump to the other side of the fence and turnstile, stand over there and then pass once again.
After 10 minutes the same happened with another group. This time a soldier from the military police, signaled him to let them pass, and only the first three were sent back and had to pass the turnstiles once again. Those at the end of the line were "lucky", it took them two minutes to go through the inspection and get out of the checkpoint. 

9:40 - A' from the DCO arrived and gave the soldiers a short briefing, he let the vehicles at the parking lot pass with out an inspection (about 12 cars). The DCO representative that remained there continued doing this.
We must deduce that there is no need for an inspection at the entrance to Nablus, especially when the drivers pass there everyday and they all live in Beit Furik and Beit Dajan.
The drivers at the parking lot reported that the checkpoint was rather efficient during the morning. Apparently it has been this way for the last couple of days even though the average waiting time of a car might sometimes even be of an hour. But it might just be that they had already become accustomed to the fact that things could get worse, and compared to other things, waiting an hour at the checkpoint isn't something exceptional.
10:00- Awarta
A dog trainer was there. There were three trucks heading out of Nablus and three heading from Awrta. No detaineesinfo-icon. The trucks passed quickly.

10:15- Huwwara
All Huwwara residents were allowed to pass- there was no segregation on Huwwara residents.

Pedestrians: Three posts were open and also a line of women and the elders. The pace was reasonable and even quick.
The whole time we were there the line didn't grow longer then 20 people.
Cars leaving Nablus: They got out in a reasonable pace as well. 
Vehicles heading out of Nablus: It took them 7-8 minutes.

All the passengers in the vehicles waiting for inspection had to get out of the car before entering the checkpoint. The driver would arrive at the checkpoint in his car. The soldiers inspected the car and everything in it and the passenger went through a physical inspection- they were inspected from their head to their toes. A humiliating site, but in appeared the Palestinians didn't have the energy to complain anymore. It's likely that the feelings of humiliation and anger that are bottled up with one day burst out.

11:15 The shops in Huwwara had opened. The curfew had been lifted.