'Azzun 'Atma, Habla, Huwwara, Za'tara (Tapuah), Tue 22.11.11, Afternoon

Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Email
Shosh Bernstein, Petahya (reporting) Translator: Charles K
Seriously? Does this make us safer?




  Habla – The gate is open and people crossed with no problems.



  Huwwara – no problems



  Za’tara – Soldiers asked people to get out and inspected their vehicles and took the passengers’ ID cards to check them.




  Azzun Atma – When we arrived we were amazed to see a very long line of workers that stretched across the road – about 60 people.  The line was contained between plastic barriers.  Three soldiers “kept order,” that God forbid someone would get out of the line, and if someone moved the soldier rudely pushed him back in line with the plastic barrier.  It was really dangerous because vehicles sped madly along the road.  We approached the checkpoint commander, who looked like a settler.  He said he can’t do anything, it’s the job of the military police, all we do is keep order and guard the soldiers.  We spoke to the workers who said it’s like this every day, and yesterday was worse.  We telephoned the humanitarian office a number of times; they kept telling us they were taking care of it.  Of course, we didn’t remain quiet; we yelled at the soldiers who didn’t allow us to approach the window to speak to the military policeman.  We threatened to call the humanitarian office, but it didn’t help.  After about half an hour about six more soldiers arrived as reinforcements, and we thought that “salvation” had arrived, but instead of helping they hemmed the workers in even more.  When we asked why they aren’t helping to inspect they said they’re not authorized to do so, they came to guard the soldiers because yesterday their lives were in danger.  The workers became disorderly and the soldier pushed them, but the same checkpoint commander who said he had no authority to conduct inspections began pulling adults from the line and checking them. The scene was terrible and I called Chana Barag  in despair.  She wasn’t home but she called the humanitarian office and told them she was`going to send a letter of complaint.



At 17:45 it was already dark, workers arrived one at a time and the line shortened to about 30 people.  We decided to leave.


N.B.:  A large, uncovered garbage receptacle stood near the line and near where the soldiers stood.  It was full of flies, and something inside stank terribly; the stench was unbearable.


I beg all of you to observe there between 15:30 – 17:00.  I apologize that this report is so long.  I haven’t been able to forget – it was so painful.